THIS STUDY CONFIRMS WHAT THE MEDICAL WORLD ALREADY KNOWS
Read this fascinating, one of a kind mammoth study that was set up to learn about the mental health of first-degree relatives of someone who’d been diagnosed with ADHD.
This study was conducted last year. An entire nation (Taiwan) was studied and here are the findings.
The study was conducted to learn about the mental health of anyone who was a first-degree relative (parent, sibling or child) of someone who’d been diagnosed with ADHD. The findings are astonishing.
THE FIGURES OF THOSE WITH ADHD
- 220,996 parents who had children with ADHD
- 174,470 children who had brothers or sisters with ADHD
- 5,875 children who had parents with ADHD
In the study, researchers matched these people with demographically comparable people who didn’t have first-degree relatives with ADHD, then looked at rates psychiatric diagnoses. It turned out that the first-degree relatives were:
- 6.87 times more likely to have ADHD
- 4.14 times morelikely to have autism spectrum disorder
- 2.21 times as likely to have bipolar disorder
- 2.08 higher risk of major depressive disorder
- 1.69 times more likely to have schizophrenia
The dramatically increased risk of ADHD isn’t exactly unexpected, since we know that ADHD is largely genetic. Thsi study confirmed what we already know, that there is a high incidence of mental health disorders in the relatives of those who have ADHD. (Retrieved from psychcentral.com)
If you have just found out that your child has ADHD there is a lot you can do. The most important thing you can do right now is to become an informed parent.
My book “Own Your ADHD – Discover Your True Potential” is available on kindle and paperback. Download here http://www.focuswithfaigy.com/recommended-adhd-books/
There is more information on my youtube channel, subscribe here.